Thursday, July 8, 2010

ER

Well yesterday was interesting to say the least. I woke up with horrible cramps, nausea and lower back pain. I went ahead and went into work but not long into my day I realized that I had to go home. So I went home and tried to rest but I found it difficult to even sleep. I was very uncomfortable. So I decided this isn’t normal, I’m heading to the urgent care to find out what’s wrong. I went in and waited forever. I finally got to see the Dr and he decided to take a urine and blood test. I waited forever again for the results. When he came back he said well it’s not a UTI and you’re not pregnant (duh!) but your white blood cell count is high. So he referred me to the emergency room. He told me not to be alarmed but I needed to have more tests done. (Not be alarmed… right!) So he printed out my blood test results and called the ER to tell them I was on my way. He warned me that my wait might be long but he didn’t warn me it would be an eternity! While I was waiting they take your vitals, I guess they want to make sure that you aren’t about to keel over right there. If you are, you get right in but if you aren’t, you WAIT. I waited for close to 2 hours before I ever got in to see a Dr. Don’t get me wrong, I’m SO glad this wasn’t a true emergency. During my wait I saw thugs galore and even a guy in handcuffs. Awesome, the criminal got in before me. Little did I know that St. Johns had so much action on a Wednesday afternoon. So anyway back to the cute guy who took my vitals. While I was sitting there hooked up to the blood pressure monitor he asked do you smoke? I said no and he said I didn’t think so, you have the heart rate of an athlete. So I told him that I ran and he said I can tell. This was the highlight of my long, drawn out, stressful day. I may have been in the ER but dangit I had a strong heartbeat!  :)  It really was cool to see that running had played a positive impact on my health. It made a noticeable difference on my vitals and I think that’s awesome. So that you aren’t left wondering what’s wrong with me, I finally got into a hospital room. They hooked me up to an IV and took my blood again. From there I went and got a CT scan. After much more waiting, the Dr came in and said everything is fine. To cut to the chase, I had spent a total of 5 hours trying to find out what was wrong to hear we aren’t quite sure. It’s kind of unsettling to not know why you are having a pain or why my white blood cell count was high but most importantly all of my tests came back normal so I guess I won’t worry too much. I got a shot for the pain which helped tremendously and I’m currently on a non-narcotic pain killer. What a day!

No comments:

Post a Comment