Sunday, April 18, 2010

Remember the 10







On January 27, 2001, ten members of the Oklahoma State basketball family passed away in a plane crash following a basketball game in snowy Colorado. For Stillwater residents it was a horrific and unimaginably tragic event. For the past 4 years, they have held a run remembering and honoring these families. I have always wanted to be a part of it and this year I was able to. The weather could have been better. It was a little chilly and rainy. We arrived at the event with about 5-10 minutes to spare. Needless to say we were ready to go at that point, nice and awake from the morning rush! We were running a 10K which was the perfect long run before the half marathon next weekend. I found myself saying yay we only have 6 miles this weekend! Really ONLY 6? I never thought I would utter these words but somehow I did. Trust me, I still think 6 miles is hard but I guess not compared to 13 next Saturday. It was really a fun run. A little hilly but that's alright because after you go up a hill, you get to coast down one which is the best. Not only that but there were people everywhere telling you how far you'd gone or just to yell words of encouragement. I saw families sitting outside their houses just to yell for us. It's amazing how many people want you to succeed. The best part was seeing my Dad 3 times during the race. He is such an amazing, caring man. He surprised me by being at the beginning, middle and end. Each time it made me smile so big. Having the type of support that I do is the best gift of all.  It was great to be a part of such an amazing event and to see my family and old High School buddies.


2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog through Amanda's. I love it! Reading your first few entries has given me hope that I can someday run a half too! Keep the bloggy entries coming!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! I really appreciate that. Trust me if I can do this so can you! :)

    ReplyDelete